Red and blue light therapy are two non-invasive treatments that have become increasingly popular recently. These therapies use different wavelengths of light to penetrate the skin and stimulate various cellular processes, leading to various benefits. Our dermatology centers in South Florida want to share the benefits of red and blue light therapy. If you want to learn more, our experts have compiled a guide for you below.
How Does Red Light Therapy Work?Red light therapy is a type of phototherapy that uses red LED lights to promote a cellular response in the body and increase cellular turnover. This treatment uses red light wavelengths to penetrate the skin and stimulate a cellular process and involves exposure to red light wavelengths, typically between 630-700 nanometers. This treatment is often used to treat a range of skin conditions, including acne, wrinkles, and fine lines. The red light therapy skin benefits include:
- Stimulates collagen production: Red light therapy is known to stimulate the production of collagen, which is an essential protein that gives the skin its elasticity and firmness. As we age, our collagen production decreases, leading to wrinkles and fine lines. Red light therapy can help increase collagen production and reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Reduces inflammation: This type of therapy has anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce redness and inflammation in the skin. This makes it an effective treatment for acne, rosacea, and other inflammatory skin conditions.
- Improves skin texture and tone: Another benefit of red light therapy is it can improve the texture and tone of the skin by increasing circulation and promoting cellular turnover. This leads to smoother, brighter, and more even-toned skin.
- Speeds up healing: Red light therapy has been shown to speed up the healing process. It can help reduce the healing time of wounds, scars, and other skin injuries.
What Is Blue Light Therapy?Blue light therapy is a treatment that uses blue light wavelengths to penetrate the skin and kill acne-causing bacteria by using exposure to blue light wavelengths, typically between 405-410 nanometers. Though it is often used to treat acne, it can also be used to improve skin texture and tone and for other treatments. The blue light therapy benefits for the skin include:
- Kills acne-causing bacteria: This type of therapy is known to kill the bacteria that cause acne. This makes it an effective treatment for mild to moderate acne.
- Reduces inflammation: Using blue light in treatments is beneficial because it has anti-inflammatory properties and can reduce redness and inflammation in the skin. This makes it an effective treatment for inflammatory acne and other inflammatory skin conditions.
- Improves skin texture and tone: Blue light therapy can improve the texture and tone of the skin by promoting cellular turnover. This leads to smoother, brighter, and more even-toned skin.
- Non-invasive and painless: Because it is a non-invasive and painless treatment that does not require any downtime, blue light therapy is an attractive option for those who want to improve their skin without undergoing more invasive procedures.
- Can prevent basal cell carcinoma: For those who have had basal cell carcinoma, they can use blue light therapy to help prevent additional spots from developing.