The Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery Institute is dedicated to the comprehensive diagnosis and treatment of a wide range of conditions impacting the skin, hair, and nails. Our institute stands out for its specialization in medical dermatology services, providing a thorough and diverse array of treatments.
Led by Dr. Wassef, our skilled team at DCSI boasts extensive expertise across cosmetic, surgical, and medical dermatology. Our commitment to patient well-being is evident in the safe practices we employ, ensuring that each individual receives optimal outcomes for their skin, hair, and nails. Operating from our state-of-the-art surgical dermatology center in Palm Beach, we prioritize the highest level of comfort for all patients, fostering an environment conducive to effective and personalized care. Trust us for comprehensive dermatological solutions tailored to both men and women, where your skin health is our top priority.
What Is Medical Dermatology?
Medical dermatology is a specialized branch of medicine focused on the diagnosis and treatment of skin disorders and conditions. Unlike cosmetic dermatology, which primarily addresses aesthetic concerns, medical dermatology deals with the health and well-being of the skin. Dermatologists specializing in this field, such as our dermatologists at DCSI, are trained to identify, manage, and provide therapeutic interventions for a wide range of skin issues, including infections, inflammatory disorders, autoimmune diseases, and skin cancers. From common concerns like acne and eczema to more serious conditions such as psoriasis and melanoma, medical dermatology plays a crucial role in promoting skin health and overall patient well-being. The team at our Florida dermatology medical clinic employs a combination of clinical expertise, cutting-edge diagnostics, and evidence-based treatments to address diverse dermatological challenges.
Our Medical Dermatology Services
We provide comprehensive treatment options for an extensive spectrum of conditions, encompassing, but not limited to:
Serious Conditions and Diseases
Cysts: Cysts are fluid-filled sacs that can develop beneath the skin.
- Skin Cancers: Skin cancers encompass various malignant growths arising from the skin cells, including basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and melanoma. Early detection is crucial.
- Wrinkles: (Not a medical condition on its own but related to aging and can be associated with skin health) Wrinkles are creases and lines that develop on the skin over time, primarily due to the natural aging process, sun exposure, and repetitive facial expressions. Preventive measures such as sunscreen use and skincare routines can help minimize their appearance
Inflammatory Skin Condition
- Boils: Boils are painful, pus-filled lumps that form under the skin due to bacterial infection of hair follicles.
- Dermatitis: Dermatitis refers to skin inflammation, presenting as redness, itching, and sometimes blistering.
- Acne: Acne is a common skin condition characterized by the formation of pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads. A lot of our patients seek our treatment for acne-prone skin.
- Eczema: Eczema is a chronic skin condition characterized by inflamed, itchy skin. It often develops in childhood and may persist into adulthood.
- Poison Ivy Reaction: Contact with poison ivy plants can cause an itchy rash due to an allergic reaction to the plant’s oil.
- Chicken Pox: Chickenpox is a highly contagious viral infection characterized by itchy red spots and blisters.
- Psoriasis: Psoriasis is a chronic autoimmune condition that leads to the rapid buildup of skin cells, resulting in thick, silvery scales and itchy, dry patches.
- Rosacea: Rosacea is a chronic skin condition characterized by facial redness, visible blood vessels, and sometimes, pimples.
- Rashes: Rashes is a broad term for skin abnormalities, often appearing as red, itchy, or swollen areas.
- Shingles: Shingles, caused by the reactivation of the varicella-zoster virus, results in a painful rash with fluid-filled blisters.
Benign Skin Growth and Lesions
- Birthmarks: Birthmarks are pigmented or vascular skin abnormalities present at birth or shortly afterward.
- Moles (Nevi): Moles, or nevi, are clusters of pigmented cells that often appear as dark spots on the skin.
- Warts: Warts are skin growths caused by viral infections, commonly the human papillomavirus (HPV). They can appear on various parts of the body, presenting as small, rough, or raised bumps, and can be treated through various methods.
Skin Infections and Infestations
- Hair Infections: Hair infections, such as folliculitis, occur when hair follicles become inflamed or infected, leading to symptoms like redness and pimple-like bumps.
- Scars Scars often develop as part of the skin’s healing process after injuries or surgery, and infections during this phase can influence the appearance of the resulting scar.
- Varicose Veins: Varicose veins are enlarged, twisted veins, typically in the legs, caused by weakened vein walls or faulty valves, and can be managed through lifestyle changes or medical interventions.
Dr. Wassef Is the Dermatologist for You
Explore a comprehensive list of our services provided at our Wellington and Delray offices to find more information about the conditions we treat. Regularly inspect your skin for changes and schedule routine visits to Dr. Wassef, the best dermatologist in South Florida. Additionally, be sure to seek out a consultation at one of our locations if you have a family history of skin problems, as early detection can be life-changing.
In addition to promoting skin health, our medical dermatology procedures at (DCSI) aim to enhance your appearance by addressing concerns like eczema, rashes, varicose veins, and more. Whether treating potentially harmful conditions or those affecting your aesthetic confidence, our professional team is dedicated to helping you achieve your skin-related goals. Contact our professionals today for further information!
Acne is a very common skin condition that afflicts many people during their teen years, however the disease is not restricted to any age group, it may continue into or may even start in adulthood. Acne causes clogged pores (blackheads & whiteheads) and pimples on the face, neck, chest, back, shoulder and upper arms. Although acne is caused by several factors, medical treatment can drastically improve the appearance of acne. Even though you might think that washing frequently is good for your skin, acne is not a disease that is caused by dirt and frequent and vigorous cleansing techniques may even worsen the condition.
Dr. Wassef uses the latest techniques, medicines, and chemical peels to treat acne and its unwanted effects.
Moles can appear almost anywhere on the skin and most are normal. However, some are bothersome and may transform into melanoma. Most moles are usually less than 1/4 inch in size. Moles may darken, which can happen after exposure to the sun. If you see any irregularities or changes to your moles, please consult Dr. Wassef and his team.
Psoriasis is a common skin condition with systemic considerations. The most common type of this consists of raised lesions covered with silvery scales most commonly seen on the elbows, knees, scalp and trunk. This is controllable, but not curable. Many things can trigger the onset and continuation of psoriasis. Dr. Wassef can assist you in managing and treating your Psoriasis.
Dr. Wassef can diagnose and treat any rash patients might have. Once our team has identified your rash, we’ll offer the treatment options we feel will work best for you.
Rosacea is a skin disorder leading to redness and pimples on the nose, forehead, cheekbones and chin. It almost always provides a disfiguring redness to the skin. This condition usually becomes progressively worse in many of those affected. Treatment will control rosacea in most cases. There are many effective treatment options for rosacea. Dr. Wassef will discuss and employ the best treatment options with you.
Skin cancer is the most common form of human cancers, affecting more than one million Americans every year. One in five Americans will develop skin cancer at some point in their lives. Skin cancers are generally curable if caught early. However, people who have had skin cancer are at a higher risk of developing a new skin cancer, which is why regular self-examination and doctor visits are imperative.
Warts are areas of skin that grows aster than normal due to a virus. They are actually an HPV infection of the skin. The body will eventually build up a resistance over time and the cause of warts will disappear. Dr. Wassef offers multiple different treatments and removals for warts.
Wrinkles are a natural part of the aging process. They occur most frequently in areas exposed to the sun, such as the face, neck, back of the hands and forearms. Over time, skin gets thinner, drier and less elastic. Ultimately, this causes wrinkles – either fine lines or deep furrows. In addition to sun exposure, premature aging of the skin is associated with smoking, heredity and skin type (higher incidence among people with fair hair, blue-eyes and light skin).