Are you looking for the best adult acne treatments for your skin? Acne, although associated with puberty and teenagers, can affect adults, too. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, over 50 million American teenagers and adults suffer from acne per year 1. Our top dermatologists in South Florida want to give you our professional tips for how to improve your adult acne.
What Causes Adult Acne?Acne forms due to clogged pores from sebum, bacteria, and dead skin cells. Depending on your skin type and oil production, there are many different factors that can cause acne, especially for adults. These include:
- Certain Medications
- Air pollution
- Hormone Changes
- Cosmetic products that are not non-comedogenic or non-acnegenic
Over the Counter Adult Acne TreatmentsDepending on your skin type and skin stressors, there are many over-the-counter products that can treat acne-prone skin. Our board-certified dermatologists suggest consulting with a doctor or dermatologist before implementing a new product in your skin routine.
- Benzoyl peroxide helps kill acne bacteria and prevent new papules or pustules from forming. Benzoyl peroxide does get rid of dead skin cells and excessive oil but may cause drying or redness for those who have sensitive skin.
- Salicylic acid helps reduce the swelling and redness that acne causes by unclogging pores. Salicylic acid may cause slight skin irritation when introduced to your skin routine.
- Glycolic acid helps revive acne-prone skin after various skin treatments. Glycolic acid helps improve skin tone and texture while keeping pores clear of dirt or oil to prevent breakouts or blackheads.
Best Natural Acne Treatments for AdultsIf you have sensitive skin or allergies to over-the-counter acne treatments, try a natural acne treatment to improve your skin. Consider introducing one of these natural acne treatments to your skincare routine.
- Green tea helps protect the skin from air pollution, UV radiation, and pollution. Green tea is an effective way to clear acne because it kills bacteria and helps reduce sebum clogging your pores and causing acne or blackheads.
- Passion flower is a natural anti-inflammatory that can help reduce breakouts and heal adult acne scars. Not only is passion flower serum hydrating, but it can be applied underneath your moisturizer without clogging pores.
Dermatology Recommended Acne TreatmentsIf you believe you are experiencing more severe hormonal acne or that over-the-counter acne treatment is not working, schedule an appointment with a board-certified dermatologist. A dermatologist can evaluate and treat skin-related symptoms, including adult acne, with a professional acne treatment. Look through one of our professional adult acne treatments to effectively clear your acne.
- Chemical peels can help diminish acne scars and improve your skin. Due to the intense exfoliation, chemical peels can rejuvenate your face and help stop acne from appearing for a period of time. Dr. Wassef implements the latest technologies and treatments to treat adult acne and improve your skin.
- Facials are one of the best ways to clear your face from acne. Facials help exfoliate dead skin, open pores, and hydrate your skin. Our dermatology services in South Florida have the best facials for adult acne and other skin abrasions. We also specialize in facials for sensitive acne-prone skin.
- Microneedling is a professional acne treatment that utilizes fine needles for skin rejuvenation and healing acne scars. Not only does this medical dermatology treatment help treat adult acne but gives your face a more youthful and hydrated appearance.